Fresh Strawberry Pie
This pie is a celebration of perfectly ripe, summertime strawberries. Only two cups of the berries are cooked down into a quick jam, which holds the rest of the fruit together for a delightfully fresh pie. With a crunchy shortbread crust and a cloud of freshly whipped cream, it’s reminiscent of strawberry shortcake — but maybe even better.
- Serves: 8 persons
- 10 ⅔ounces/300 grams shortbread cookies (two 5 1/3-ounce packages)
- 3tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¼teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼cup/55 grams unsalted butter, melted
- 2 ½pounds/about 1 kilogram strawberries (about 8 to 10 cups), hulled
- ⅓cup/65 grams granulated sugar
- 3tablespoons strawberry preserves
- ¼cup/30 grams cornstarch
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1cup/240 milliliters cold heavy cream
- 1tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- ½teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
Step 1Prepare crust: Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, combine shortbread cookies, sugar, flour and salt and blend until you have fine crumbs. Transfer crumbs to a medium mixing bowl. Add butter and mix with a fork until crumbs are evenly moistened. Tip crumbs into a standard 9-inch pie plate and press them in an even layer on the bottom and up the sides of the plate. Bake until golden brown and set, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Step 2Prepare filling: Cut each of the strawberries in quarters or eighths, if they are large. Transfer 2 cups berries to a small saucepan and crush completely with a potato masher. Set aside the remaining berries in a large bowl. Add the sugar, preserves, cornstarch, 1 tablespoon water and salt to the saucepan.
Step 3Bring strawberry mixture to a boil over medium heat and then cook it an additional 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add strawberry mixture and lemon juice to the strawberries in the bowl and stir to combine. Transfer to the prepared crust and gently tap it down into an even layer. Transfer to the fridge to set for at least 4 hours.
Step 4Just before serving, whip cream, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla, if using, to soft peaks. Top pie with whipped cream.