Gluten-Free Apple Oat Muffins
These gluten-free apple oat muffins are made with freshly ground gluten-free oats, fresh shredded apple, apple juice, and walnuts.
- Serves: 12 persons
- 2cups oatmeal ( rolled oats , certified gluten-free)
- 2teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- ¼teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼cup dark brown sugar (firmly packed)
- ¼cup plain yogurt (gluten-free)
- ½cup apple juice
- 2large eggs ( lightly beaten )
- 1egg white
- 4tablespoons light olive oil (or canola oil)
- ½teaspoon vanilla
- 1large apple (about one cup, shredded)
- ½cup walnuts (chopped)
- Optional: 1 tablespoon sugar to sprinkle on muffins
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to sprinkle on muffins
Step 1Preheat oven to 350 F.
Step 2Use a clean coffee bean grinder to process 2 cups of certified gluten-free oats into oat flour. Depending on the size of your grinder, you may have to do this in batches.
Step 3Place oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar , and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Whisk to blend.
Step 4Lightly beat eggs in a separate small bowl. Add yogurt, apple juice, oil, and vanilla. Whisk to blend and pour into bowl with dry ingredients. Stir to combine thoroughly.
Step 5Fold in shredded apple and walnuts. Stir just until blended.
Step 6Line muffin pan with paper liners , or lightly grease pan and fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full.
Step 7Bake for 16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Step 8Sprinkle hot muffins with cinnamon-sugar mixture and allow muffins to cool for about 10 to 15 minutes before serving.