Combine lentils, chestnut mushrooms, brown rice and walnuts to make our veggie loaf. Ideal as a vegetarian main, topped with cranberry sauce for a festive touch
- Serves: 8 persons
- 1tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for the tin
- 1red onion, roughly chopped
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 250g puy lentils
- 1tsp garlic granules
- 50g vegetarian Italian-style hard cheese, grated
- 250g pouch microwaveable brown rice
- 75g walnuts, chopped
- small handful of parsley, finely chopped
- 250g cottage cheese
- cranberry sauce, to serve (optional)
Step 1Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Oil the base of a 950g loaf tin and line with baking parchment. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the onion and mushrooms for 8-10 mins until the mushrooms have released their liquid and browned. Tip into a large bowl and leave to cool for 5 mins before adding all the remaining ingredients, except the cranberry sauce. Season well and mix to combine.
Step 2Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake for 45-50 mins until cooked through and golden on top. If the top begins to brown too much before it's cooked through, cover with foil. Turn out of the tin onto a serving board or plate, and remove the parchment. Leave to cool for 5 mins, then top with the cranberry sauce (if using), slice and serve warm or cool completely and eat cold.