Vegetarian Thai Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Curry
This pumpkin and sweet potato curry is beautiful to serve and very delicious. It makes a flavorful side dish but is also a meal unto itself.
- Serves: 4 persons
- For the Curry Sauce:
- ¾can coconut milk (reserve 1/4 can for garnish)
- 3garlic cloves
- 1thumb-sized piece galangal or ginger, sliced
- 3teaspoons ground coriander
- 2teaspoons ground cumin
- ½teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1fresh red chili, sliced, or 1/2 tsp. dried crushed chili or cayenne pepper
- ½teaspoon chili powder
- 11/2 tbsp. lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 3teaspoons fish sauce , or 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1teaspoon sugar
- For the Soup:
- 1to 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- ½cup water
- 2to 3 whole makrut lime leaves
- 3to 4 cups pumpkin or squash, peeled and chopped
- 1sweet potato or yam, chopped into chunks
- Handful of snow peas , optional
- 1handful fresh cilantro or basil leaves, for garnish
- Sliced red chili, for garnish, optional
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Place all curry sauce ingredients together in a food processor or blender . Blend well to create a fragrant Thai yellow curry sauce. Alternatively, you can simply mince everything well and combine together in a bowl.
Step 3Add vegetable oil to a wok or medium-sized pot, then pour in curry sauce. Add 1/2 cup water, plus lime leaves, stirring to incorporate. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
Step 4Add pumpkin and sweet potato. When curry is bubbling, reduce heat to medium or medium-low heat (just hot enough to keep curry simmering). Add snow peas, if using, and stir occasionally.
Step 5Cover curry and allow to simmer 8 to 10 minutes, or until vegetables are soft enough to poke through with a fork.
Step 6Taste test curry, adjusting salt level to suit your taste. Add fish sauce, salt, soy sauce, sugar, lime juice, or chile until desired taste is reached.
Step 7Transfer curry into a serving dish or into individual bowls. Drizzle remaining 1/4 can of coconut milk over and top with a final sprinkling of fresh cilantro or basil. Fresh cut red chile can also be sprinkled over. Serve with Thai jasmine rice .