Vegan Beefless Stew
This yummy beefless, beef-style stew is totally vegan and made with veggies, herbs, and seitan. Serve with biscuits on the side.
- Serves: 8 persons
- 4½ cups water
- 1½ tablespoons vegan "beef" soup flavoring
- 4large carrots, diced large
- 4stalks celery, diced large
- 3large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1large onion, chopped
- 1cup peas
- 1cup corn
- 1teaspoon dried summer savory
- 1teaspoon dried parsley
- ½teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 2teaspoons cornstarch
- 2teaspoons water
- 1(8 ounce) package cubed, beef-style seitan (such as Gardein®)
- 1tablespoon olive oil, or as needed
Step 1Mix water and "beef" soup flavoring in a large pot over high heat. Add carrots, celery, potatoes, onion, peas, and corn. Add summer savory, parsley, and black pepper and mix together well. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Step 2Mix cornstarch and water together in a small bowl. Add to the pot and mix to combine. Bring to a boil, about 5 minutes. Reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, at least 1 hour.
Step 3Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add seitan pieces and cook until browned, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
Step 4Pour stew into bowls and add a few pieces of seitan to each.