Cream Cheese Sandwiches With Dates, Pecans and Rosemary
For these sandwiches, look for soft, juicy dates. It’s also worth seeking out natural cream cheese rather than the gummy commercial kind, or substitute fresh ricotta. The crisp, salty herbed pecans pair very nicely with the slightly sweet spread.
- Serves: 12 persons
- 1cup/8 ounces natural cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- ½teaspoon lime or lemon zest
- 1cup chopped dates, in biggish chunks, from 12 large dates
- ¾cup pecan halves
- 2tablespoons rosemary leaves, from 1 average sprig
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 6slices light or dark rye bread
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes
Step 1Set oven to 400. Put cream cheese, lime zest and dates in a small bowl. Use a fork to gently mix.
Step 2Put pecans on a rimmed baking sheet or in a skillet. Add rosemary leaves, olive oil and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to distribute seasoning and spread out in an even layer. Roast for 10 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
Step 3Lay bread slices on a work surface. Spread each evenly with cream cheese mixture using 2 or 3 tablespoons per slice. Sprinkle with pecans and rosemary. Add a little more salt and a pinch of red pepper.
Step 4Cut on the diagonal to make 12 open face sandwiches, or cut into smaller bite-size triangles.