Weaning recipe: Easy baby pasta sauce
Pack in the veg in this easy pasta sauce. Created especially for young children, it's a healthy sauce that will get children familiar with new flavours
- Serves: 24 persons
- approx 12 medium-sized tomatoes, quartered
- 1red pepper, stalk removed, de-seeded and roughly chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1large (or 2 smaller) courgettes, topped and tailed and thickly sliced
- 1red onion, peeled and cut into 1/8ths
- 3carrots, peeled and grated
- 1tbsp dried basil
- 1tbsp dried oregano
- 1tbsp and 1 tsp olive oil
Step 1Set the oven to 180 (fan assisted). Place the tomatoes, red pepper, courgette and red onion in a deep baking tray. Sprinkle over the herbs and add the tablespoon of olive oil and mix well. Cook for around 20 minutes.
Step 2Meanwhile heat the remaining olive oil in a pan and gently fry the carrots on a medium heat for 5-6 minutes then set aside.
Step 3Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth-ish
Step 4Stir into cooked pasta (fusilli works best as the sauce clings so well to it).
Step 5Any leftover can be frozen (try freezing in ice cube trays for perfect baby-sized portions).