Stir-Fry Chicken in Rice Wine
In this chicken in rice wine recipe, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and white pepper add extra flavor to this simple chicken in rice wine stir-fry.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 1whole chicken, 3 to 4 pounds
- 1tablespoon peanut oil, or vegetable oil
- 1tablespoon sesame oil
- 1thumb-size piece fresh ginger, cut into thin slices
- 3cloves garlic, minced
- 3tablespoons Chinese rice wine, or dry sherry
- 3tablespoons soy sauce
- 1tablespoon black soy sauce
- 1teaspoon white peppercorn, coarsely crushed
- 1cup hot water, or chicken stock
- Salt, to taste
- For Garnishing:
- 3stalks spring onion, or green onion; cut into 2-inch lengths
Step 1Chop the chicken into bite-size pieces, including the bones.
Step 2Heat the wok to medium-high to high heat.
Step 3Drizzle in the peanut oil or vegetable oil and the sesame oil.
Step 4When the oil is hot, add the sliced ginger. Stir-fry until it is almost brown. Stir in the minced garlic and stir-fry until it is nearly brown.
Step 5Add the chicken slices. Let sit and sear briefly, and then stir-fry the meat until it is slightly browned and about 80 percent cooked.
Step 6Pour in the rice wine and continue stir-frying.
Step 7Add the soy sauce, dark soy sauce, and crushed white pepper. Continue to stir-fry, making sure the garlic and ginger do not burn.
Step 8Pour in the hot water or chicken stock, a little at a time. Continue frying until the stock is reduced by half. Taste and add a bit of salt if desired.
Step 9Serve the chicken garnished with the spring onions .