Easy Pasta alla Norma
As an Italian, it just doesn't get better than pasta and eggplant! Give this pasta alla norma a try for a perfect weeknight dinner!
- Serves: 4 persons
- 2tablespoons salt
- ¼cup olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 4cloves garlic, minced
- 3small eggplant, sliced
- 1(28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2sprigs fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 1sprig fresh thyme
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt, or more to taste
- 1teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1(16 ounce) package spaghetti
- 1pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste
- ¼cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Step 1Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until smoking. Add garlic and then eggplant and cook stirring regularly, until softened and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil, and thyme. Bring everything to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
Step 2Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons salt. Cook spaghetti in the boiling water, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 12 minutes. Drain well and pour hot pasta into the skillet with eggplant mixture. Toss to combine.
Step 3Garnish with basil leaves and red pepper flakes. Drizzle some olive oil on top and serve topped with Parmesan cheese.