Louisiana Grillades and Grits
Grillades and grits, a traditional Louisiana brunch or breakfast dish, made with beef or veal, grits, gravy, and vegetables.
- Serves: 8 persons
- 1to 1 1/2 pounds lean beef (or veal steaks, about 1/2-inch thick)
- 6tablespoons all-purpose flour ( divided )
- ½teaspoon salt
- ½teaspoon black pepper
- 4tablespoons bacon drippings (or vegetable oil)
- 1large onion (cut into 4 wedges, sliced)
- ½cup celery (chopped)
- 1cup bell pepper (red and green, chopped)
- 2garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 ¼cups beef broth
- 1can (14.5 ounces) tomatoes (diced )
- ½teaspoon thyme (dried leaf)
- ½teaspoon basil (dried leaf)
- ½teaspoon red pepper (crushed, or to taste)
- Dash Tabasco (other hot pepper sauce, or to taste)
- Dash kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1to 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- 4to 5 cups grits (hot, cooked)
- Optional: 1/2 cup green onion (sliced, for garnish)
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Cut the steaks into 2-inch pieces. Combine 4 tablespoons of flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; dredge steak pieces.
Step 3Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat; cook the meat, turning the pieces to brown both sides. Remove the meat to a plate and set aside.
Step 4Add the onion, celery, and bell pepper to the same pan and cook until onion is translucent, stirring frequently. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes longer.
Step 5Remove the vegetables to a plate and set aside. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour. Stir the mixture well and cook, stirring constantly, until the roux mixture is medium brown in color. Return the onion mixture to the pan and add the beef broth; stir until smooth.
Step 6Return the meat to the pan and add the tomatoes. Sprinkle with the thyme, basil, red pepper, and a little Tabasco. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until tender, about 40 to 60 minutes, or until meat is tender. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed; stir in the fresh chopped parsley.
Step 7Serve the grillades with hot buttered grits and a garnish of sliced green onions, if desired. Enjoy!