Recipe for Budae Chigae or Korean Army Base Stew
Learn the recipe and history behind Budae Chigae, a stew that was invented during the famine years of the Korean War and post-war period.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1 ½cups meat (in small chunks; spam, hot dogs, ham, small meatballs, or a combination)
- 1 ½cups vegetables (sliced; a combination of any: mushrooms, bean sprouts, chrysanthemum leaves).
- ½onion (sliced)
- 3tablespoons kochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)
- 1package ramen noodles (just noodles, not spice packets)
- Optional: kimchi
- Optional: sliced rice cakes
- Optional: canned baked beans
- Optional: sliced American cheese
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2To begin making budae chigae, put all of the ingredients into a large pot.
Step 3Once you've added all of your preferred ingredients in a pot, cover them with enough water to just submerge them.
Step 4Next, bring the contents to a rapid boil. You'll see small bubbles start to form.
Step 5Then, reduce the heat on the mixture and simmer the contents for 20 minutes.
Step 6Serve and enjoy with white rice .