Gluten-Free Energy Bar
Our homemade gluten-free energy bars are an easy no-bake and economical alternative to commercial energy bars.
- Serves: 16 persons
- ¾cup nut butter (almond or cashew or peanut or sunflower butter)
- ¾cup sweetener syrup (honey or GF brown rice syrup or good quality agave nectar)
- 1 ½cups roasted raw nuts and/or seeds (almonds, pecans, walnuts, cashews, peanuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds - use your favorites in any combination)
- 1cup unsulfured dried fruit (cherries, cranberries, blueberries, apricots, pineapple, raisins, goji berries - use your favorite dried fruits in any combination)
- 4cups gluten-free rice crispy cereal
- ⅛teaspoon kosher salt
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
Step 1Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step 2Place nuts and/or roasted seeds and dried fruit in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse several times, just until the mixture is coarsely ground.
Step 3In a large saucepan melt nut butter with liquid sweetener over medium-low heat. Stir and watch carefully to prevent scorching. When the mixture is smooth and bubbling cook for about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add salt and vanilla and stir to combine. Use a large spatula to stir in nuts, dried fruit, and cereal. Stir until all ingredients are coated with nut butter mixture.
Step 4Scrape mixture onto the prepared baking sheet . Use the spatula to evenly spread the mixture on the pan. Place a large piece of waxed paper over the mixture and use a rolling pin to smooth the top of the mixture. Cover with the waxed paper and refrigerate for about 2 hours before cutting the energy bars into whatever sizes you prefer.
Step 5Wrap bars in waxed paper and store in a covered container in the refrigerator. Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.