Creole-Style Crock Pot Black Beans and Sausage
Spicy sausage adds flavor to these Creole-style black beans. The beans are slow cooked to perfection with a variety of vegetables and herbs.
- Serves: 8 persons
- 1to 1 1/2 pounds spicy smoked sausage (cut into 1/2-inch slices)
- 3(15-ounce) cans black beans (drained)
- 1 ½cups chopped onion
- 1 ½cups chopped green bell pepper
- 1 ½cups chopped celery
- 3cloves garlic (minced)
- 2teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 ½teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 ½teaspoons white pepper
- ¼teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 3bay leaves
- 1(8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1cup chicken broth
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Brown the sliced sausage in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
Step 3Drain the fat and transfer the cooked sausage to the crock pot.
Step 4Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and gently mix to combine.
Step 5Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours, or on high for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours.
Step 6Remove the bay leaves.
Step 7Serve with hot cooked rice , if desired.