Quick and Easy Tex-Mex Beef and Rice Bake
Ground beef and rice make an easy Tex-Mex style casserole, a quick-to-prepare meal the whole family will enjoy. This is an excellent busy day meal.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 1cup uncooked rice (long-grain)
- 1pound lean ground beef (chuck or round)
- ½cup onion (chopped)
- ¼cup bell pepper (green or red, chopped)
- 15ounces black beans (1 can, drained and rinsed)
- 8ounces tomato sauce (1 can)
- 1cup sweet corn (use canned, drained or frozen, thawed)
- ½teaspoon salt
- Dash black pepper
- 1 ½teaspoons chili powder
- Dash garlic powder
- ¼teaspoon ground cumin
- 2tablespoons cilantro (fresh, chopped)
- Garnish: cheddar cheese (shredded, or Mexican blend of cheeses)
- Garnish: chopped cilantro or green onions
Step 1Cook the rice as directed on the package; set aside.
Step 2Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Step 3Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole.
Step 4In a skillet over medium heat, cook the ground beef and onion until beef is no longer pink; add bell pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes longer.
Step 5To the beef, add the beans, tomato sauce, corn, salt and pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin. Stir in the 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro. Add the cooked rice and blend well.
Step 6Spoon the mixture into the prepared casserole.
Step 7Bake for 25 minutes.
Step 8Top with the shredded cheese and cook for 5 minutes longer, or until cheese is melted.
Step 9Garnish with more chopped cilantro or chopped green onions, if desired.