Turmeric Rice With Tomatoes
There are a few foolproof ways of cooking perfect, fluffy long-grain rice, and this is one of them. The pot is covered with a lid and a tea towel for a short time, then set aside to let the rice finish cooking in the steam that has built up. The finished dish is deliciously rich and lemony and would go perfectly with some grilled fish or chicken. The bright yellow of the turmeric and the red pop of the cherry tomatoes mean that it’s also a treat for the eyes.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 5garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 10cardamom pods, crushed (keep a few of the pods and all the seeds)
- 1 ½tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 5tablespoons/75 milliliters olive oil, divided
- 1lemon, yellow peel shaved into 5 wide strips, and fruit squeezed to get 2 tablespoons juice
- 1teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1pint/400 grams cherry tomatoes
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 ⅔cups/300 grams basmati rice
- 2cups/500 milliliters vegetable stock or water
- ¼cup/5 grams loosely packed parsley leaves, roughly chopped
Step 1In a medium-size deep skillet with a tight-fitting lid, combine garlic, cardamom, thyme, 3 tablespoons oil and the lemon peel strips. Turn heat to medium-low and gently cook for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring often, until garlic just begins to soften and turn golden.
Step 2Add turmeric, tomatoes and 1 1/4 teaspoons salt and cook 3 to 4 minutes more, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to blister, taking care not to break them apart. Add rice, stock (or water) and a generous grind of pepper and gently stir to combine. Bring to a gentle simmer, then cover the pan with a clean tea towel and seal with the lid, securing the towel edges well over the lid so they don’t catch fire.
Step 3Reduce heat to very low and let cook undisturbed 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, leaving the lid on, and let rest 5 minutes. Remove lid and towel and use a large fork to gently fluff rice and evenly disperse the tomatoes. Gently stir in lemon juice, remaining 2 tablespoons oil and parsley. Let rest 5 minutes more before serving.