Roasted Cauliflower With Pancetta, Olives and Crisp Parmesan
Studded with salty olives, pancetta and Parmesan that gets golden and crisp at the edges, this is roasted cauliflower at its brightest and most full-flavored. You can serve the caramelized florets either as a vegetable-based main dish or a hearty side to roasted meats or fish, or big bowls of pasta. The recipe calls for using a package of finely diced pancetta that practically melts into the sauce. But if you prefer a chunkier texture, you can dice it yourself into 1/2-inch cubes, and add them with the cauliflower. Or, to make this vegetarian, just leave the pancetta out.
- Serves: 2 persons
- 1large head cauliflower (about 1 3/4 pounds), trimmed and cut into bite-size florets (about 8 cups)
- ½cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- ⅓cup olives, crushed, pitted and chopped
- 1fat garlic clove, finely grated or minced
- 1 ½tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- ⅛teaspoon red-pepper flakes, plus more as needed
- 4ounces pancetta or bacon, cut into 1/8-inch cubes
- ¾teaspoon cumin or caraway seeds
- ½cup shredded (not ground) Parmesan
- ¼cup chopped fresh parsley or mint leaves and tender stems, for serving
Step 1Heat oven to 425 degrees. Place cauliflower on a rimmed baking sheet and toss with 1/4 cup olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt until well coated. Roast for 15 minutes.
Step 2In a small bowl, whisk together olives, garlic, lemon juice, 1/8 teaspoon red-pepper flakes and a large pinch of salt. Drizzle in the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, whisking well.
Step 3After the cauliflower has roasted for 15 minutes, add pancetta and cumin seeds to pan and gently mix to combine. Sprinkle Parmesan on top and roast for another 15 to 20 minutes, until cauliflower is tender, the pancetta rendered, and cheese is golden brown and crunchy.
Step 4Spoon olive dressing all over roasted cauliflower while still hot and toss to combine. Taste, and add more salt, red-pepper flakes or lemon juice, if needed. Scatter parsley over the top before serving.