Scooter's Vegan Tempeh Chili
After switching over to a vegetarian lifestyle I came up with this dish to satisfy my autumn and winter cravings for a warm vegan chili. A great dish that comes together fast and since it is packed with fiber/protein it will fill you up.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 5carrots, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1sweet onion, chopped
- 5cloves garlic, chopped
- 1tablespoon chili powder
- 2teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1teaspoon garlic powder
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1(8 ounce) package tempeh (such as Trader Joe's® Organic 3 Grain Tempeh), crumbled
- 1red bell pepper, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1yellow bell pepper, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1orange bell pepper, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1(28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1(15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1(15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1(15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1(15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained and rinsed
- 1tablespoon brown sugar
Step 1Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add carrots; cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add onion and chopped garlic; cook and stir until aromatic, about 3 minutes. Add chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, and cumin; cook and stir for 1 minute. Toss in tempeh, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, and orange bell pepper; cook and stir until tempeh is coated in the spices, about 5 minutes.
Step 2Pour tomatoes, black beans, cannellini beans, kidney beans, corn, and brown sugar into the tempeh mixture. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, until flavors are well blended, about 30 minutes.