Buffalo Cauliflower Dip
The most negotiable part of Buffalo wings, it turns out, are the wings. Buffalo crudités can be just as crisp, Buffalo chicken dip just as tangy, and Buffalo cauliflower dip just as spicy and alluring. The whole dip — from caramelizing cauliflower to stirring together the creamy hot sauce base and baking on the generous layer of cheese — is made in one pan. You can bring the pan right to the table with dippers of choice and watch it disappear. Just because classic dishes are made a certain way — and Buffalo wings have a cult following, no doubt! — don’t be afraid to riff on them once in awhile. That's how new classics are made.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1small head cauliflower (about 1 1/2 pounds), cored and cut into small florets (about 4 cups)
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½cup Buffalo-style hot sauce, such as Frank’s
- 4ounces cream cheese, cut into pieces and softened (about 1/2 cup)
- ¼cup sour cream
- ½cup freshly shredded Cheddar (about 2 ounces)
- ¼cup crumbled blue cheese (about 1 ounce)
- 1 ½teaspoons finely chopped chives or scallions, or to taste
- Celery sticks, carrot sticks, bread, potato chips or tortilla chips, for serving
Step 1Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a 9-inch cast-iron or ovenproof skillet, toss the cauliflower with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid or aluminum foil and cook on the stovetop over high to steam, 5 minutes.
Step 2Uncover the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is fork-tender and caramelized in spots, about 10 minutes.
Step 3Stir in the butter. Once melted, stir in the hot sauce and simmer until the sauce has reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
Step 4Turn off the heat, then stir in the cream cheese and sour cream until combined. Sprinkle the Cheddar on top.
Step 5Bake until bubbling around the edges and the cheese has melted, about 10 minutes. If you’d like the top to get browned, run it under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes.
Step 6Immediately sprinkle with blue cheese and chives. Serve with vegetables, bread or chips for dipping.