White Bean Caprese Salad
Beloved pantry white beans add substance to this take on caprese salad, which comes together in no time. It’s a perfect side for grilled chicken or fish, and can be easily doubled to work as a main course when it’s too hot to turn on the oven. If you’re so inclined, a handful of spicy arugula, thinly sliced roasted red peppers or ribbons of prosciutto — or all three — would also be nice additions. This dish is easily transportable and tastier when eaten while sitting in a lawn chair.
- Serves: 2 persons
- 1(14-ounce) can white beans, such as cannellini, rinsed
- 5ounces cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 5ounces ciliegine (small mozzarella balls), at room temperature, halved lengthwise, or good-quality fresh mozzarella, torn into bite-size pieces
- ¼cup loosely packed basil leaves, torn if large
- 2tablespoons olive oil, plus more as needed
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2teaspoons good-quality balsamic vinegar, plus more as needed
- Flaky salt
Step 1In a medium bowl, combine the beans, tomatoes, cheese and half the basil. Gently toss together.
Step 2Add the olive oil and season the mixture well with salt and pepper. Gently stir to combine.
Step 3Drizzle the salad with the balsamic vinegar and top with the remaining basil. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. Add a drizzle or so more of oil and vinegar if needed. Finish with flaky salt.