Tofu and Broccoli Fried Rice
Fried rice is the perfect weeknight meal: It requires minimal prep, simple pantry condiments and basic vegetables. Not to mention, it comes together quickly. Here, otherwise mild tofu is transformed into savory bites when cooked in soy sauce infused with aromatics, absorbing all of the rich, sweet-salty flavor and bringing depth to the dish. The rice seasonings are kept simple and bright with garlic and ginger, which allows the vegetables to shine. Use any mix of leftover vegetables: Cabbage, bell peppers and mushrooms are all great alternatives.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 5tablespoons neutral oil, such as safflower or canola oil
- 2tablespoons minced garlic
- 2teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- ⅓cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2tablespoons turbinado or granulated sugar
- 1(14-to-16-ounce) package firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- ¼cup chopped cilantro
- ½cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced into rounds
- 8ounces broccoli, cut into 1-inch florets and stems thinly sliced (3 heaping cups)
- 4cups cooked and cooled long grain white rice, preferably day-old
- 1jalapeño or serrano chile, thinly sliced
- ½cup thawed frozen peas
- 4large eggs, beaten
- ½cup thinly sliced scallions
Step 1In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium. Add 1 tablespoon of the garlic and 1 teaspoon of the ginger, and stir until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add soy sauce, sugar and tofu, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce has been absorbed and tofu is nicely glazed, about 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro. Transfer tofu along with juices to a shallow plate.
Step 2In the same skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium. Add onion and carrot, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon garlic and 1 teaspoon ginger until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add broccoli, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until broccoli is softened, about 3 minutes. Add rice, jalapeño and peas, and drizzle over 1 tablespoon of the oil. Season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until well combined and rice is golden in spots, about 3 minutes.
Step 3Push rice mixture to one side of the skillet. To the empty side, add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and eggs, and allow them to set a little before stirring. Cook until scrambled, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir egg into rice mixture, then stir in half of the scallions and half of the glazed tofu and any juices on the plate. Season with salt and pepper.
Step 4Divide the fried rice in bowls, and top each with some of the remaining glazed tofu. Garnish with the remaining scallions.