Marinated Black-Eyed Pea Salad
This wonderful salad uses lots of fresh ingredients, and gets better the longer you refrigerate it. It's a terrific dish to take to a potluck or any kind of get together.
- Serves: 7 persons
- 1yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1red bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½onion, finely chopped
- 2jalapeno chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 4(15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1clove garlic, minced
- ½cup red wine vinegar
- 2tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼cup olive oil
- ½teaspoon ground cumin
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4slices cooked bacon, crumbled
Step 1Mix the yellow and red peppers, onion, jalapeno chiles, black-eyed peas, parsley, and garlic together in a large bowl.
Step 2Whisk the red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar together in a small bowl. Gradually add the olive oil, whisking constantly to thoroughly blend with the vinegars. Stir in the cumin, salt, and black pepper. Pour the dressing over the vegetable mixture, tossing to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate 3 to 4 hours. Just before serving, stir in the crumbled bacon.