Savory Thai Noodles With Seared Brussels Sprouts
Isa Chandra Moskowitz runs a vegan restaurant in Omaha, Neb., so she knows how to make plant-based food that meat-eaters will also like. This one-pot noodle dish, loosely based on pad Thai, has lively textures (like shredded brussels sprouts and chewy rice noodles) and super-satisfying flavors.
- Serves: 3 persons
- ⅓cup tamari sauce
- ⅓cup packed brown sugar
- 3tablespoons white miso
- 3tablespoons tomato paste
- 2tablespoons tamarind concentrate
- 1teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 8ounces Thai rice noodles
- 3tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1bunch (6 to 8) scallions, trimmed
- Kosher salt
- 8ounces trimmed brussels sprouts, shredded or quartered
- 4cloves garlic, minced
- 2cups loosely packed cilantro leaves and thin stems
- 4ounces mung bean sprouts (optional)
- ½cup salted roasted peanuts, lightly cracked in a mortar or coarsely chopped
- 1red chile, such as Fresno, thinly sliced (optional)
- 4lime wedges, for serving
Step 1Make the sauce: In a blender or bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix until smooth. It should be thick but pourable like barbecue sauce; add water as needed to thin it out.
Step 2Cook noodles for stir-frying according to the package directions; they should be slightly underdone. After draining, rinse well with cold water to stop the cooking. Toss noodles in 1 teaspoon coconut oil to prevent sticking.
Step 3Cut scallions: Thinly slice the white parts, and cut the pale and dark green parts into 1-inch lengths.
Step 4Heat a wok or large nonstick skillet over high. Add 2 tablespoons coconut oil and sprinkle in salt. Add brussels sprouts and sear, tossing occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
Step 5In the same pan over high heat, heat remaining 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Add scallions and cook, stirring often, just until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add garlic, stir, then pour in about half the sauce and stir until bubbling.
Step 6Add noodles and cook, tossing in the sauce until cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining sauce, cooked brussels sprouts, cilantro and bean sprouts, if using; toss to coat and heat through.
Step 7Divide among plates. Garnish with peanuts, chile and lime wedges (if using) and serve immediately.