Chicken & fennel au gratin for dogs
Treat your dog to this chicken and fennel au gratin for dinner. Made with fresh chicken and vegetables, it will be a real treat for your four-legged friend
- Serves: 1 person
- ½tsp olive oil
- 1fennel bulb, halved, cored and finely sliced
- 1celery stick, finely diced
- 1carrot, cut into 5mm dice
- 1garlic clove, finely chopped (optional)
- 1tsp buckwheat flour or brown rice flour
- 600ml salt-free chicken or vegetable stock, or water
- 4skinless chicken thighs you can cook with the bone in if you like, but make sure you remove every trace of bone once cooked)
- 4-6 sage leaves, roughly chopped
- few dog biscuits, crushed
- few gratings parmesan
Step 1Warm the oil in a flameproof casserole dish or heavy saucepan over a medium heat. Add the fennel and cook for 10 mins until softened, stirring occasionally. Add the celery, carrot and garlic. Cook for a minute, then sprinkle over the flour and stir to coat the vegetables. Pour in the stock or water and bring to a simmer, then add the chicken thighs. Cook the chicken for 15 mins or until cooked through, then scoop the meat out with a slotted spoon and leave to cool.
Step 2Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Simmer the broth until it’s thickened. Remove the bones from the chicken if necessary, then shred the chicken into small pieces and return to the broth. Stir in the sage, then tip into an ovenproof dish.
Step 3Sprinkle the dog biscuits and parmesan over the chicken, then bake until the top is crisp and golden, about 15-20 mins. Leave to cool a little before transferring to a dog bowl.