Fried Pork Gyoza with Dipping Sauce
Yummy side dish or appetizer can be made ahead and reheated in the oven. Store dipping sauce in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. You can also serve these with ready-made sweet chili sauce.
- Serves: 100 persons
- 4ounces water chestnuts, drained
- 3green onions
- 1egg, lightly beaten
- 2ounces canned pineapple, drained
- 1½ tablespoons gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)
- ½tablespoon dried parsley
- 1teaspoon hoisin sauce
- ½teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- ½teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- ¼teaspoon fish sauce
- 1(12 ounce) package sausage (such as Old Folks®)
- 2(12 ounce) packages round gyoza wrappers
- ½cup rice vinegar
- ½cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ⅓cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1teaspoon sesame oil
- ½teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1clove garlic, minced
- ½teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
- vegetable oil for frying
Step 1Combine water chestnuts, green onions, egg, pineapple, gochujang, parsley, hoisin sauce, Sriracha sauce, sesame oil, black pepper, ginger, and fish sauce in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped and well combined. Add sausage and pulse filling until just combined.
Step 2Place 4 gyoza wrappers at a time on a clean, flat surface. Fill a small bowl with water. Add about a 1/2 tablespoon of filling to the center of each wrapper. Moisten 1/2 the circumference of each wrapper using a wet finger. Quickly fold each wrapper in half and pinch 5 to 6 pleats along the edge to seal. Place filled gyoza on a plate and cover with a moist paper towel to prevent drying out. Continue with remaining wrappers and filling.
Step 3Whisk rice vinegar, soy sauce, green onions, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, garlic, and ginger root together in a bowl. Allow dipping sauce to sit at least 15 minutes before serving.
Step 4Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Step 5Fry gyoza 3 or 4 at a time in the hot oil until lightly golden brown, about 3 minutes per batch. Serve immediately with dipping sauce.