This Moroccan slow cooker dish is the perfect blend of sweetness and spice.
- Serves: 8 persons
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 8skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1eggplant, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2large onions, thinly sliced
- 4large carrots, thinly sliced
- ½cup dried cranberries
- ½cup chopped dried apricots
- 2cups chicken broth
- 2tablespoons tomato paste
- 2tablespoons lemon juice
- 2tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2teaspoons garlic salt
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1cup water
- 1cup couscous
Step 1Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Place the chicken pieces and eggplant in the heated oil; stir and cook until the chicken is browned on all sides but not cooked through. Remove the skillet from the heat.
Step 2Place the browned chicken and eggplant on the bottom of a slow cooker. Layer the onion, carrots, dried cranberries, and apricots over the chicken.
Step 3Whisk together the chicken broth, tomato paste, lemon juice, flour, garlic salt, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, and ground black pepper in a bowl. Pour the broth mixture into the slow cooker with the chicken and vegetables.
Step 4Cook on High setting for 5 hours, or on Low setting for 8 hours.
Step 5Bring water to boil in a saucepan. Stir in couscous, and remove from heat. Cover, and let stand about 5 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed. Fluff with a fork.