Hearty Chicken Cacciatore Soup with Rice
Great in fall and winter, this delicious, hearty, full-flavored soup is teeming with tasty ingredients... tomatoes, chicken, vegetables, and a healthy body of rice. This is a family-favorite that I threw together. The full aroma will bring them in from outside before it's even done. Garnish with shredded Cheddar or mozzarella if desired.
- Serves: 10 persons
- 1(32 ounce) container chicken broth
- 2(10.5 ounce) cans condensed tomato soup
- 2(10.5 ounce) cans water
- 1(16 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2tablespoons salt-free vegetable seasoning, divided
- 3tablespoons butter
- 2(8 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1(8 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1medium onion, diced
- 2teaspoons garlic salt
- 2teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1½ cups water, or more as needed
- 1½ cups uncooked long grain rice
Step 1Combine chicken broth, condensed soup, 2 cans water, diced tomatoes, and 1 tablespoon vegetable seasoning in an 8-quart stockpot over medium heat; bring to a slow, rolling boil.
Step 2Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, mushrooms, onion, and remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable seasoning and cook until onion is translucent and chicken is cooked through, about 7 minutes. Stir in garlic salt, salt, and pepper.
Step 3Transfer chicken mixture to the stockpot and bring to a rolling boil. Cook, stirring frequently, for 30 minutes.
Step 4While the soup is cooking, bring 1 1/2 cups water and rice to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until rice is tender and water has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes.
Step 5Add rice to the soup and continue to simmer, adding more water to reach desired consistency, for 1 hour.