Traditional Thai Massaman Lamb Curry
Traditional, authentic and aromatic, this Thai Massaman Lamb Curry is simply the best! A sumptuous dish that's rich in both flavor and nutrients
- Serves: 6 persons
- 2 ½cups chicken stock
- 1to 1 1/2 pounds lamb shoulder , (cubed, chicken or beef can also be used)
- ⅓cup onion (diced)
- 3bay leaves
- 1to 2 potatoes (cut into chunks)
- Optional : 1 whole star anise
- ¼cup fresh basil
- Curry Sauce:
- 1thumb-size piece ginger (grated)
- 4to 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1stalk lemongrass (tender white parts, minced; save tops for the stock)
- 1red chili (sliced, or 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon chili flakes or cayenne pepper)
- ¼cup unsalted cashews (chopped, plus a few more for garnish)
- 1teaspoon ground coriander
- 1teaspoon whole cumin seed
- ½teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1teaspoon ground turmeric
- ⅛teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1teaspoon tamarind paste (or substitute 1 tablespoon lime juice)
- 1teaspoon brown sugar
- ¾teaspoon shrimp paste (or 1 extra tablespoon fish sauce)
- 2tablespoon fish sauce
- 1(14-ounce) can coconut milk (not lite)
- Serving Suggestions: cooked Thai jasmine rice
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Place stock in a large pot over high heat. Add the meat, onion, and bay leaves. If using fresh lemongrass, also add the upper leftover stalk pieces. Bring to a boil then reduce to low, until you get a nice simmer.
Step 3Cover or partially cover with a lid and simmer 40 to 80 minutes, stirring occasionally, until meat is tender or near-tender (You can also choose to skip this step—see note below recipe).
Step 4Add all curry sauce ingredients, stirring with each addition. Also, add the potatoes and whole star anise (if using). Return to a boil, then continue simmering 30 more minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir occasionally.
Step 5Taste the curry, adding more fish sauce for increased flavor/saltiness, or more chile if you want it spicier. If too sour, add a little more sugar. If too salty or sweet for your taste, add a touch more tamarind or lime juice. If too spicy, add more coconut milk.
Step 6Transfer to a serving bowl, or plate up on individual plates or bowls. Top with a few more cashews and fresh basil . Serve with Thai jasmine rice .