Spicy Steak and Watercress on a Roll
Serve these little steak sandwiches with drinks. Horseradish, thinly sliced jalapeño and peppery watercress all supply a pleasant kick, tempered by sweet butter and sour cream.
- Serves: 6 persons
- 1pound New York strip or other steak
- Salt and pepper
- 2tablespoons freshly grated horseradish, from a 2-inch chunk of horseradish root
- ½teaspoon sugar, optional
- ½cup/4 ounces sour cream or crème fraîche
- 6mini whole wheat rolls or brioche rolls
- Unsalted butter, at room temperature
- A few thinly sliced cornichons (optional)
- 2thinly sliced jalapeños
- 1large handful watercress sprigs or a combination of watercress, basil leaves and radicchio
Step 1Season beef generously with salt and pepper. Cook to medium rare in a pan, under a broiler or on a grill, about 4 minutes per side depending on thickness. Set aside to cool for at least 10 minutes. Slice thinly on a bias and set aside. Blot extraneous juice with paper towels.
Step 2Make horseradish sauce: Put grated horseradish in a small bowl. Season with a good pinch of salt and pepper and a little sugar. Add sour cream and stir to combine.
Step 3Split rolls and lay them cut side up on a work surface. Butter each piece lightly, then spread with 2 teaspoons horseradish sauce.
Step 4Divide sliced meat among the 6 bottom roll pieces, then garnish with cornichons, jalapeño and watercress. Replace top pieces of rolls and serve.