Spicy One-Pot Shakshouka
Easy and delicious eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce. A popular Middle Eastern dish that has become a favorite with my family as well. Don't forget flatbreads or crusty bread for dipping!
- Serves: 4 persons
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1onion, halved and finely chopped
- 1green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1red chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1(14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1teaspoon white sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4large eggs
- 2green onions, finely chopped
Step 1Heat olive oil in a heavy-bottomed frying pan. Saute onion and bell peppers in the hot oil for 2 to 3 minutes. Add chile pepper and garlic; cook and stir the peppers start to caramelize, 2 to 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and sugar. Cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Step 2Make indentations in the sauce using a wooden spoon. Crack eggs into indentations in the sauce. Cover and cook until whites are firm and yolks reach desired doneness, 5 to 8 minutes. Uncover and garnish with green onions.