Gluten-Free Lobster Bisque Recipe
This easy-to-make recipe makes a savory gluten-free lobster bisque soup that's thickened with sweet rice flour, which gives it a silky, rich body.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 4tablespoons butter
- 2tablespoons finely diced scallions
- 1stalk finely diced celery with leaves
- 4tablespoons gluten-free sweet rice flour
- 2cups plus 2 tablespoons half and half (add more liquid, 1 tablespoon at a time, if you prefer a thinner bisque)
- 1tablespoon tomato paste
- 2teaspoons paprika
- 1teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- ⅛teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
- ½teaspoon cane sugar
- 10-ounces cooked, coarsely chopped lobster meat (blot lobster meat with a tea towel to remove excess liquid which can thin the bisque)
- 2or 3 tablespoons good quality sherry , to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
Step 1Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Add diced scallions and celery and cook for about 3 minutes until vegetables begin to soften. Add sweet rice flour and whisk to blend into vegetables. Cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Step 2Slowly pour half-and-half into vegetable mixture and stir until blended. Stir in tomato paste. Cook over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes or until bisque begins to thicken. Add paprika, Old Bay seasoning, cayenne, sugar, and sherry. Stir to blend. Add cooked lobster meat, then salt and pepper to taste. Simmer bisque over low heat for about 5 minutes, until heated through. Don't boil.
Step 3Serve hot. Reminder: Avoid gluten cross-contamination in the kitchen. Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans, and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.