Healthy BBQ chicken
Coat skinless chicken breasts in our low-sugar barbecue glaze for a lovely, healthy summer meal to eat al fresco. Enjoy with an avocado and tomato salad on the side
- Serves: 2 persons
- 4skinless chicken breast fillets (about 760g)
- 125g passata
- 1medjool date, stoned
- 2garlic cloves
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- ½tsp mustard powder
- 1tsp olive oil, plus extra if frying
- 4jacket potatoes, to serve (optional)
- 2avocados, peeled, stoned and cut into large wedges
- ½lemon, juiced
- 4-6 tomatoes (depending on size), chopped
- 1large yellow pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1red onion, finely chopped (160g)
- 20g coriander, chopped
Step 1Put the chicken fillets in a food bag or between two sheets of baking parchment, and bash lightly with a rolling pin until they are an even thickness – avoid making them too thin. Put in a large shallow dish.
Step 2Pour the passata into a large bowl along with the date, garlic, balsamic, paprika, mustard powder and oil. Blitz using a hand blender until smooth, then pour over the chicken, turning it several times to ensure it’s well coated. Cook straightaway as directed below, or cover and chill to marinate overnight.
Step 3Cook the chicken on a barbecue over ashen coals for 6-7 mins on each side, or fry in a non-stick pan over a medium-high heat with a drizzle oil for 6-7 mins each side until cooked through. Toss the salad ingredients together in a bowl and serve with the chicken and jacket potatoes, if you like.