Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes
Intense chocolate cupcakes with a hint of peppermint and coffee. I like them frosted with a simple whipped cream (consisting of heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla), but they'd be delicious with a white chocolate or vanilla buttercream as well!
- Serves: 24 persons
- 3tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1tablespoon hot water
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- ½teaspoon salt
- 6tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ½cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ¼cup white sugar
- 1large egg, at room temperature
- 2teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½cup strongly brewed coffee, cooled to room temperature
- ½cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- ½cup semisweet chocolate chips (such as Ghiradelli® 60% Cacao)
Step 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line 2 cupcake pans with paper liners.
Step 2Mix espresso powder and hot water in a measuring cup until powder is dissolved. Set aside.
Step 3Whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl until well combined.
Step 4Cream butter, brown sugar, and white sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in egg until thoroughly combined. Mix in espresso mixture, vanilla, and peppermint extract. Add in 1/3 of the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Mix in cooled coffee until just combined. Stir in another 1/3 of the dry ingredients until just combined. Mix in buttermilk until just combined. Stir in remaining dry ingredients until just combined. Do not overmix. Fold in chocolate chips.
Step 5Spoon batter into the prepared cups, filling each line just over 1/2 full.
Step 6Bake in the preheated oven until cupcakes spring back lightly when touched, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool a few minutes in the pan before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.