Jamaican Oven Jerk Pork Shoulder
Use this recipe to make a simple version of Jamaican jerk pork shoulder, roasted in the oven. It's great for those who can't grill outdoors.
- Serves: 10 persons
- ½cup ground allspice berries
- ½cup brown sugar (packed)
- 6to 8 garlic cloves
- 4to 6 Scotch bonnet chile peppers (trimmed and seeded, wear gloves)
- 1tablespoons ground thyme (or 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves)
- 2bunches scallions (green onions, greens included, trimmed and chopped into 2-inch pieces)
- 1teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2teaspoons Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2tablespoons soy sauce (to moisten)
- 1(6- to 9-pound) pork picnic shoulder roast
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Place allspice, brown sugar, garlic, Scotch bonnet peppers, thyme, scallions, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and soy sauce in a food processor . Blend until smooth.
Step 3With a sharp knife, carefully score the thick fat of the pork shoulder into a diamond pattern, trying to not cut into the meat.
Step 4Press and massage a thick coating of the jerk sauce on the exterior of the pork so it is completely covered—gloves are encouraged for this process. Refrigerate any leftover sauce as long as it hasn't been in contact with the raw pork. It will keep for 4 to 5 weeks.
Step 5Place the pork in a roasting pan and cover with a lid, foil, or plastic wrap. Refrigerate to marinate at least 24 hours or for up to two days.
Step 6When ready to cook, let the pork sit at room temperature at least one hour or until it reaches room temperature. Then, preheat oven to 450 F.
Step 7Line a roasting pan with heavy foil and insert a roasting rack.
Step 8Roast pork uncovered for 30 minutes at this high heat, and then lower the temperature to 325 F.
Step 9Roast for an additional 3 to 4 hours. If you notice the crust starting to over-blacken, cover again with aluminum foil. The pork is done when an instant-read thermometer (inserted in the thickest part of the meat away from fat) reads 180 to 190 F.
Step 10Remove from the oven and rest for 30 minutes before carving.
Step 11Serve with your favorites sides and enjoy!