Lemon Ricotta Pasta with Vegetables
This is my "kitchen sink" pasta dish, you can use whatever veggies or cheeses you have on hand. The combo sounds a little odd but you'll be surprised of the amount of flavor you get!
- Serves: 8 persons
- 1(16 ounce) package penne pasta
- ¼cup unsalted butter
- 1(8 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1small red onion, diced
- ½medium green bell pepper, diced
- 3cloves garlic, minced
- 1teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1teaspoon Italian seasoning, or more to taste
- crushed red chili pepper to taste (optional)
- 3cups fresh spinach, or to taste, stems removed
- 1medium Roma tomato, diced
- 1(15 ounce) carton ricotta cheese
- 1pinch garlic powder, or to taste
- 1pinch onion powder, or to taste
- ¼cup Parmesan cheese
- 1large lemon, zested and juiced
- ¼cup cubed fresh mozzarella
Step 1Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add penne and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 11 minutes.
Step 2Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, and garlic; saute until softened, 5 to 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, and crushed red chili pepper. Add spinach and tomato towards the end of the saute process and cook until spinach has wilted.
Step 3Season ricotta cheese with more Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder. Stir seasoned ricotta cheese into the vegetable mixture with Parmesan cheese, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Heat over medium-high heat until heated all the way through, 3 to 5 minutes.
Step 4Plate and top with mozzarella.