Free-from butterscotch pie
Make a butterscotch pie for dessert. This one is free from dairy, eggs, soy and gluten, so everyone in the family can enjoy it. Top with chopped nuts, if you like.
- Serves: 8 persons
- 200g dark brown soft sugar
- 2tbsp golden syrup
- 625ml canned coconut milk
- 1tbsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 4tbsp cornflour
- 2tbsp vegan margarine (from a hard block, not a tub)
- 95g thick coconut yogurt or vegan soured cream
- 1pre-baked 22cm gluten-free and vegan pastry case or a 400g pack gluten-free, vegan shortcrust pastry, rolled out and baked in a 22cm pie dish following pack instructions
Step 1Combine the sugar, golden syrup, ¼ tsp salt and 250ml of the coconut milk in a large saucepan, then bring to the boil over a medium heat.
Step 2Meanwhile, combine the rest of the coconut milk, vanilla bean paste or extract and cornflour in a large heatproof bowl, whisking until smooth.
Step 3When the syrupy coconut mixture comes to the boil, slowly drizzle it into the bowl with the coconut and vanilla mixture in a steady stream, whisking continuously. Pour back into the pan and bring to a simmer over a medium heat, continuing to whisk until thick, about 5-7 mins.
Step 4Remove from the heat and whisk in the margarine and yogurt or soured cream. Pour into the prepared pie crust, then cover the surface with a circle of baking parchment to prevent a skin forming. Chill for 4-6 hrs until set. Will keep chilled for up to two days.