Classic Carrot Salad
Maybe your family has made carrot salad forever, or maybe you’ve seen it at potlucks, but if you’re not familiar with this Southern classic, your inner voice might be screaming, “Raisins don’t belong in salad!” But relax: This just might be the only time they do. The soft, sweet raisins complement the crunchy carrots, which are finished with a tangy dressing. Soak the raisins in hot water to give them a different, more plump texture. If you aren’t a fan of mayonnaise or yogurt, use 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice, and add some chopped fresh parsley. Let the crunchy-sweet flavors roll over your tastebuds as you realize you’ve made a simple, and delicious, dish in less than 15 minutes.
- Serves: 2 persons
- 1(8-ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained (about 1 cup)
- ½cup golden or brown raisins
- ¼cup mayonnaise or plain yogurt
- 1tablespoon honey (optional)
- 1tablespoon fresh orange zest, (optional)
- 6medium carrots, peeled and grated (about 4 cups), or 1 (10-ounce) bag of carrot matchsticks
Step 1In a large bowl, add pineapple, raisins, mayonnaise, honey and orange zest (if using). Mix until combined.
Step 2Add carrots to dressing and fold together all the ingredients using a rubber spatula or tongs.
Step 3Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, then serve chilled.