Gluten-free courgette pancakes
Try a creative way to use up a glut of courgettes with these pancakes. They're free from gluten, dairy, soya and egg, so everyone can enjoy them
- Serves: 14 persons
- 1medium courgette, coarsely grated
- 150ml reduced-fat coconut milk
- 1orange, zested, plus 150ml orange juice
- 1tbsp vinegar
- 3tbsp maple syrup, plus extra to serve
- 5 ½tsp vanilla extract
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tsp mixed spice
- 1tbsp powdered egg replacer
- ¾tsp xanthan gum (omit if your flour mix contains it)
- 2tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 250g gluten-free plain flour
- 1tsp sunflower oil, or other flavourless oil
- thick soya yogurt and mixed berries, to serve (optional)
Step 1Tip the grated courgette into a clean tea towel and squeeze out as much water as you can. Set aside. In a jug, mix the coconut milk with the orange zest and juice, vinegar, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
Step 2Combine the cinnamon, mixed spice, powdered egg replacer, xanthan gum (if using), baking powder, flour and ¼ tsp salt. Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Whisk to make a smooth batter, then stir in the courgette.
Step 3You will need to cook the pancakes in batches. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium-low heat. Add 2 tbsp batter per pancake, leaving 4cm between each. Cook for 3-4 mins until bubbles form on top. Flip and cook for another 1-2 mins.
Step 4Transfer the pancakes to a wire rack while you cook the rest. Serve warm with extra maple syrup and yogurt and berries, if you like.