Karen's Creamy Tomato Pasta
Traditional vodka sauce is the basis for this recipe, but with a twist to suit my family's taste. This is quick enough to serve on a weeknight but is also a treat for company.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1(8 ounce) package uncooked farfalle (bow tie) pasta
- ½pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1(6 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- ½pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- ½cup vodka
- 1(28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- ½cup half-and-half
- ⅛teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½cup grated Parmesan cheese
Step 1Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Place farfalle pasta in the pot, cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente, and drain.
Step 2In a skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage until evenly brown. Mix in the roasted red peppers, mushrooms, and vodka, and bring to a boil. Cook and stir 5 minutes, until most of the vodka has evaporated and mushrooms are tender.
Step 3Mix the tomatoes, half-and-half, and red pepper into the skillet. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring frequently, 15 minutes. Serve over the cooked pasta, and top with Parmesan cheese.