Grilled Halibut with Mango-Papaya Salad
This is a halibut, mango, and papaya salad recipe that is fresh and light, especially for the spring season which will soon be upon us. Doesn't take a lot of prep time with exception of marinating the fish. Can be done ahead and kept in the fridge for at least 2 days. Salad dressing as you will see is very easy and is so delicious and light. Add fresh garlic bread or breadsticks and a glass of wine (Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc). The combination of the citrus dressing and the fruit and dill proves to be a delicious marriage of fruit and herbs. Enjoy.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 4(4 ounce) fillets halibut
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1cup orange juice
- ½medium lemon, juiced
- 2tablespoons honey
- 1teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1teaspoon chopped garlic
- ¼teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 1(8 ounce) package mixed salad greens
- 1cup sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1medium mango - peeled, seeded and diced
- 1medium papaya - peeled, seeded and cubed
- ½small red onion, chopped
- 3slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 3tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 2cups Italian-style salad dressing
- 1cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1tablespoon honey
Step 1Pat halibut dry and season with salt and pepper. Combine oil, orange juice, lemon juice, honey, Italian seasoning, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a glass or ceramic bowl for marinade with a whisk to make sure it is well blended. Add halibut and let marinate for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Step 2Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate. Remove fish from marinade and shake off excess. Discard the remaining marinade.
Step 3Cook halibut on the preheated grill horizontally for 5 to 7 minutes. Flip and cook vertically for perfect grill marks until it springs back with a mild resistance and flakes easily with a fork, 5 to 7 minutes more; be careful not to overcook. Remove from grill and sprinkle with fresh dill.
Step 4Combine salad greens, mushrooms, mango, papaya, onion, bacon, and feta cheese in a bowl.
Step 5Whisk salad dressing, orange juice, and honey for dressing together in another bowl. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Serve with grilled halibut.