Oven Fries With Tahini Yogurt and Smoky-Sweet Nuts
This is an alternative take on loaded fries, but the cheesy sauce is replaced with tahini yogurt and the bacon bits with smoky-sweet nuts. It’s no less decadent, however, and a great one to dig into and share. Double up on the smoky-sweet nuts, if you like. They’re an easy way to introduce both texture and flavor to dishes, and are particularly good spooned onto hummus.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 2 ¼pounds/1 kilogram skin-on Yukon Gold (or King Edward) potatoes, cut lengthwise into roughly 1/2-inch/1 1/2-centimeter-thick sticks
- 2teaspoons rice flour
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1heaping tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro (coriander) or parsley stems (or a mixture of both)
- 1 ½tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓cup/40 grams pine nuts
- ¼cup/30 grams roughly chopped blanched almonds
- 1teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1teaspoon nigella seeds (or black sesame seeds)
- 1teaspoon Urfa chile flakes
- 1teaspoon Aleppo chile flakes
- ½teaspoon hot smoked paprika
- 3tablespoons/60 grams Greek-style yogurt
- 2 ½tablespoons/50 grams tahini
- 1 ½tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2garlic cloves, minced
Step 1Heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit/200 degrees Celsius.
Step 2On a large parchment-lined baking sheet (tray), toss the potatoes with the rice flour, oil and 1 teaspoon salt. Spread them out in an even layer so they’re not overlapping. Cover the baking sheet tightly with foil and bake for 15 minutes, until the potatoes steam and soften slightly.
Step 3Meanwhile, make the pickled stems: Add the herb stems to a small bowl with the vinegar and set aside to gently pickle.
Step 4Prepare the nuts: Add the oil to a small frying pan and heat over medium-high. Once hot, add the pine nuts and almonds, and cook, stirring occasionally, until toasted and nicely browned, about 1 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and immediately stir in the sugar, nigella seeds, Urfa and Aleppo chile flakes, paprika, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Transfer to a bowl.
Step 5Make the tahini yogurt: Add all the ingredients to a bowl with 2 1/2 tablespoons water and 1/4 teaspoon salt; whisk until smooth. Add an additional 1 or 2 tablespoons of water, if needed, until the mixture is just pourable, since it tends to thicken as it sits.
Step 6Remove the foil from the potatoes, turn the heat up to 425 degrees Fahrenheit/220 degrees Celsius and return to the oven for 15 minutes. Use a spatula to gently flip the fries over, separating them if they stick together at all, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes more, until nicely golden and crispy. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
Step 7To serve, transfer the fries to a large serving platter and drizzle with the tahini yogurt. Spoon the nut mixture on top, followed by the pickled stems and their liquid. Serve immediately.