Glass Noodles With Shrimp and Spicy Mustard Sauce
The secret pantry ingredient in this superfast, superflavorful noodle dish is Asian hot mustard powder. Mixed with equal parts water, the golden powder blooms into a pungent, spicy sauce. The noodles can be made a few hours ahead and served chilled or at room temperature. They will develop more flavor as they sit, though you should remove from the refrigerator 15 minutes before serving so that the noodles return to room temperature and soften. Jumbo shrimp cook in just a couple minutes, but precooked shrimp are also a convenient option. Eggs add a nice creamy texture that helps tame the hot mustard.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 12ounces dried sweet potato noodles (glass noodles)
- 1pound peeled and deveined jumbo shrimp (about 20)
- 2tablespoons hot Asian mustard powder
- 6tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1teaspoon granulated sugar
- 6tablespoons safflower or canola oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1red bell pepper, cored, seeded and very thinly sliced
- Sliced scallions, for garnish
- 4hard-boiled eggs, halved, for serving (optional)
Step 1In a large pot of boiling water, cook noodles according to package directions until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Using tongs, transfer noodles to a colander and rinse under cold water until cool; drain well.
Step 2In the same pot of boiling water, add shrimp. Poach over high until pink and just opaque throughout, 2 minutes. Drain shrimp and rinse under cold water.
Step 3While the noodles cook, in a large bowl, combine mustard powder and 2 tablespoons very hot water; mix well. Let stand for 5 minutes to bloom. Add vinegar, ginger and sugar. Whisking constantly, drizzle in oil until well combined; season with salt and pepper. Reserve 1/3 cup of this dressing in a small bowl.
Step 4Add cooled noodles to the large bowl of mustard sauce, season with salt and pepper, and toss until noodles are evenly coated. (Using clean hands works best, but otherwise use tongs.) Add shrimp, cucumbers, bell pepper and the reserved 1/3 cup dressing; season with salt and pepper, and toss until well combined. Season to taste.
Step 5Divide noodle mixture among shallow bowls. Garnish with scallions and eggs, if using.