Spicy Pickled Carrots
These sweet and spicy pickled carrots are simple to make. The chef Pierre Thiam pairs them with black-eyed pea fritters, but they make a great condiment for just about everything.
- Serves: 3 persons
- 2cups coarsely grated or julienned carrots
- 1Scotch bonnet or habanero pepper, finely diced
- 1serrano pepper, thinly sliced
- ½white onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2teaspoons kosher salt
- 1teaspoon Vietnamese fish sauce, such as Red Boat
- ½cup brown sugar
- ½cup cider vinegar
- ½cup rice vinegar
Step 1In a large metal bowl, combine the carrots, peppers, onion, salt and fish sauce. Toss well to combine.
Step 2Place the sugar and vinegars in a small pot and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve. Once the mixture is at a rapid boil, pour it over the seasoned carrots. Let cool to room temperature before using. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.