Easy Corned Beef and Cabbage
If you want an easy corned beef and cabbage recipe, look no further. This one-pot dish has it all, and any leftovers make great sandwiches.
- Serves: 8 persons
- 1(3 1/2- to 5-pound) corned beef brisket
- 2teaspoons Kosher salt (or to taste)
- ½tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1bay leaf
- Optional: spice packet (from the corned beef package)
- 3quarts water
- 2pounds red potatoes (cut in half)
- 4carrots (peeled, cut into chunks)
- 1onion (large dice)
- 3ribs celery (large dice)
- 1medium head cabbage (cut into wedges)
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Place the corned beef, 1 teaspoon of the salt, pepper, bay leaf, and contents of the optional spice packet into a large pot along with 3 quarts of cold water.
Step 3Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Turn down the heat to low and simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
Step 4Add the remaining salt if needed, potatoes, carrots, onions, and celery. Simmer covered for 30 minutes.
Step 5Add the cabbage wedges and cook for another 30 minutes or until the potatoes and vegetables are tender.
Step 6Remove from the pot and let rest for 10 minutes, loosely covered with aluminum foil. Remove the bay leaf and discard it.
Step 7Slice the corned beef against the grain and serve in a bowl topped with cabbage, vegetables, and some of the cooking liquid. Accompany with dark bread and mustard on the side. Enjoy.