Pico de Gallo
This is a classic pico de gallo preparation with the exception of the inclusion of two types of spicy chiles, jalapeño and serrano. Their flavors are so different: Jalapeños are much more vegetal and can lean into bell pepper and poblano flavors, while serranos are much sharper, crisp and almost cucumber-like. They complement each other very well, and are used in many Mexican salsas.
- Serves: 2 persons
- 3large ripe Roma tomatoes, chopped
- ¼cup cilantro leaves and tender stems, finely chopped
- ¼white onion, chopped
- 1jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1serrano chile, finely chopped
- 1garlic clove, finely grated
- 1tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus more as needed
- 1 ½teaspoons kosher salt (such as Diamond Crystal)
Step 1Gently toss tomatoes, cilantro, onion, jalapeño, serrano, garlic and 1 tablespoon lime juice in a small bowl; season with salt and more lime juice if necessary. Let sit, uncovered, to let flavors meld, about 10 minutes.