Jamaican Spiked Chicken and Rice
Rum-spiked chicken in tasty sauce atop a bed of rice. Topped with banana slices. This is my favorite dish to prepare because you get to set the chicken on fire.
- Serves: 3 persons
- ½cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1cup water
- 3tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼cup butter
- 3skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 3fluid ounces dark rum
- 1(6 ounce) can broiled-in-butter-style sliced mushrooms
- 2½ tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2teaspoons garlic powder
- 2teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1(14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1small banana, sliced
Step 1In a pot, bring the rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
Step 2Heat the oil and melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Place chicken in skillet, and cook 6 to 8 minutes per side, or until juices run clear.
Step 3Pour rum over chicken. With a long match, carefully light the rum on fire. When flames subside, mix the mushrooms, bouillon granules, garlic powder, pepper, and coconut milk into the skillet. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes, until heated through.
Step 4Serve chicken and mushroom mixture over cooked rice. Top with banana slices.