Roasted Chicken Thighs With Cauliflower and Herby Yogurt
This weeknight sheet-pan meal of crispy roasted chicken thighs and cauliflower gets a flavor boost from a tangy herbed yogurt sauce. If your cauliflower comes with leaves attached, don’t toss them. Roast them alongside the florets; just toss them with a little bit of olive oil and add them to the sheet pan about halfway through the cooking time. Make sure to scoop up a bit of yogurt with each bite.
- Serves: 4 persons
- 1teaspoon ground coriander
- 1teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1teaspoon Aleppo pepper flakes (or 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes)
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 6bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 3 pounds)
- 1small head cauliflower (about 1 1/2 pounds), cut into 2-inch florets (about 5 cups)
- 3shallots, quartered lengthwise (about 1 heaping cup)
- 1 ¼cups Greek yogurt
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 2tablespoons lemon juice, plus more for serving
- 1garlic clove, finely grated
Step 1Heat oven to 425 degrees and set a rack in the center.
Step 2In a large bowl, whisk together the coriander, paprika and Aleppo pepper with 1 tablespoon oil and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the bowl and toss to coat in the oil and spices. Arrange the chicken, skin-side up, on a large baking sheet.
Step 3Add the cauliflower, shallots, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper to the bowl. Toss to coat, then arrange the vegetables in a single layer surrounding the chicken.
Step 4Bake until the chicken is deep golden brown and cooked through and the cauliflower is browned, tossing the vegetables once or twice, about 40 minutes. (If the chicken is done before the cauliflower, transfer the thighs to a plate, cover, and continue cooking the cauliflower until golden brown.)
Step 5While the chicken bakes, prepare the yogurt sauce: Whisk the yogurt, mint, cilantro, lemon juice and grated garlic with a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Step 6Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a platter and top with any juices left on the sheet pan and a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve with a swoop of yogurt on the side, and fresh cilantro, if desired.