Cauliflower Gratin with Couscous and Parmesan
The rich, creamy Parmesan cheese sauce is a nice match for subtle cauliflower, and crisp bread crumbs add texture over the couscous.
- Serves: 4 persons
- ½head green cabbage, torn into small pieces
- 4thin slices pancetta
- 1large head cauliflower, cut into florets
- ¼cup couscous
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1cup milk
- ½tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- ¼teaspoon sea salt
- ¼cup coarsely grated Swiss cheese
- 1pinch ground black pepper
- 1pinch cayenne pepper
- 4tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2tablespoons dry bread crumbs
Step 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Butter a baking pan.
Step 2Cover the bottom of the prepared baking pan with cabbage. Arrange pancetta over the cabbage. Top with cauliflower and couscous.
Step 3Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour. Reduce heat to medium-low; whisk in milk. Cook until mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Whisk in oregano and salt. Add Swiss cheese, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Whisk until smooth. Pour sauce over the cauliflower in the baking pan. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs on top.
Step 4Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking until cauliflower is tender, about 20 minutes more. Tent with aluminum foil if top is browning too quickly. Transfer gratin to a wire rack; let cool, about 10 minutes.