Beef & Sichuan pepper stir-fry
Serve up this healthy stir-fry in just 20 minutes. Low in fat and calories, it's a brilliant speedy midweek meal for four
- Serves: 4 persons
- 2tbsp rapeseed oil
- 300g steak, sliced into thin strips
- 1tbsp cornflour
- 2mixed peppers, deseeded and finely sliced
- 200g baby corn, halved on an angle
- 2small red onions, finely sliced
- ½tsp chilli flakes
- 1tsp Sichuan peppercorns, ground using a pestle and mortar
- 2tbsp low-salt dark soy sauce
- 1tbsp chilli oil (optional)
- 300g cooked brown basmati rice
Step 1Heat 1 tbsp rapeseed oil in a large wok or frying pan over a medium- high heat. Add the steak strips and cornflour, stir to coat the steak in the flour, and fry for 2-3 mins until the steak is golden. Remove to a plate and set aside until needed.
Step 2Add the remaining oil, the peppers, baby corn and red onions and fry for 3-4 mins until starting to soften. Sprinkle in the chilli flakes, Sichuan pepper, then add the steak back along with its resting juices. Fry for 1 min until fragrant. Splash in the soy sauce and 50ml water and stir until the sauce coats the beef and veg. Drizzle with chilli oil, if you like, and serve with the rice.