Instant Pickled Carrot With Ginger
Pickle culture in India is as vast and diverse as its people, which is why Usha Prabakaran collected 1,000 recipes for her cult classic cookbook, “Usha’s Pickle Digest.” Her recipe for an instant carrot pickle, made with ginger and chile, is a simple one to master. It comes together quickly, and lasts for a couple of weeks in the refrigerator. Have it with rice and yogurt, or even in a sandwich with melted cheese.
- Serves: 1 person
- 1large carrot, peeled and julienned
- ¼cup fresh lime juice (from 2 limes)
- 1(2-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2scant tablespoons kosher salt
- 1small green chile, such as serrano, seeded then finely chopped
Step 1In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients; toss thoroughly.
Step 2Transfer mixture to a clean jar; it is ready to eat right away. Pickles keep at room temperature for 1 week, or refrigerated for 2 weeks.