Orange Zest Banana Bread
This recipe for basic banana bread includes chopped pecans or walnuts, your choice. Choose orange zest or vanilla to add a bit of extra flavor.
- Serves: 12 persons
- 2 ¾cups all-purpose flour
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- 1teaspoon salt
- ¼teaspoon baking soda
- ½cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1cup sugar
- 2ripe bananas, peeled and mashed, about 1 cup mashed bananas
- ¾cup chopped pecans, or walnuts
- 2teaspoons orange zest, finely grated; or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or orange peel
Step 1Gather the ingredients.
Step 2Grease and flour a 5x9x3-inch loaf pan. Heat the oven to 325 F. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
Step 3In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter or margarine with sugar for about 2 to 3 minutes, until fluffy.
Step 4Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until well blended.
Step 5Stir in flour mixture, alternating with mashed bananas.
Step 6Fold in pecans and orange zest or vanilla. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
Step 7Bake the banana bread for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until golden brown and a wooden toothpick, when inserted in center, comes out clean.
Step 8Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then carefully turn the bread out onto a rack to cool completely.
Step 9Make this banana bread a day ahead of time for best flavor.